Top | Vegetarian stuff (non culinate)
Indian Spinach&Tofu CrockPot
(recipe, Lina Ja)
- 2 boxes of frozen spinach, drained (I used one chopped, and one whole leaf)
- 1 lb. of extra firm tofu
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 smashed and chopped garlic cloves
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 in of ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ tsp. kosher salt (and then more later to taste)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. curry
- 1 Tbsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. chile powder
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- ½ cup water
- cornstarch (to coat the tofu)
- butter (to fry the tofu)
- Use a 3 or 4 quart crockpot.
- Drain your tofu. Squeeze it in between some paper towels or a clean dish cloth if need-be to get as much of the liquid out as you can.
- Cut it into 1-inch cubes and toss it with corn starch. Fry in butter until golden brown--resist the urge to flip; tofu takes a while to brown. I made some here, and there are pictures.
- While the tofu is browning, squeeze out all of the moisture from the spinach and dump it into your crockpot. Dice up the onion, and mince the garlic. Add that, too. Drain your garbanzo beans, and pour them in. Add all of the spices.
- Stir in ½ cup of water.
- Add the tofu to the very top of the spinach.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours. This doesn't take very long to cook. Serve over white rice, and scoop up with naan, pitas, or corn tortillas.