Top | Beef
(recipe, John Torode)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 small can tuna in oil, drained, or 4 oz. leftover cooked tuna
- 7 Tbsp. good-quality olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 piece (1 lb.) cold boneless roast veal
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
- 1 loaf bread
- Drop the egg yolk into a bowl, add the vinegar, and whisk until white. Add the mustard and tuna, then drizzle in all but about 1 tablespoon of the oil and beat to make a mayonnaise. Taste and season, then squeeze in the juice of two lemon wedges.
- Slice the veal as thinly as possible and lay it out on four serving plates, or one big platter. Sprinkle with the remaining olive oil and some chives, then pour the dressing over the meat in a squiggly pattern, like a child making a mess. Add the lemon wedges and serve with the bread.