Top | The Food You Crave
Jerk Chicken with Cool Pineapple Salsa
(recipe, Ellie Krieger)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 cup finely diced pineapple, preferably fresh
- ⅓ cup seeded and finely diced English cucumber
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1¼ pounds), pounded between 2 sheets of wax paper to ½-inch thickness
- 1 cup chopped scallions (both white and green parts; about 6 scallions)
- ½ Scotch bonnet or habañero pepper, seeded and finely minced (wear gloves when handling and keep your hands away from your eyes)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger or ¼ teaspoon ground
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1½ tsp. fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Make the salsa: In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and lime juice. Combine the pineapple, cucumber, and mint in a medium bowl, pour the dressing on it, and toss to combine. This can be made up to a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Make the chicken: Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook until browned and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Stir in the scallions, pepper, garlic, ginger, allspice, and thyme and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat. Add the broth and soy sauce and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Return the chicken to the pan and coat well with the sauce.
- Serve the chicken topped with the sauce and the pineapple salsa on the side.