Top | Pasta
Spinach Basil Sauce
(recipe, Julie Kadingo)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ⅓ cup shallots, minced
- 1 lb. spinach, stemmed and washed
- 1 bunch basil, stemmed (4 to 5 cups lightly packed)
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1½ lb. fettuccine
- In small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Cook shallots, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, submerge spinach and basil in a large pot of simmering salted water; drain immediately. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible; transfer spinach and basil to a food processor.
- Add shallots, ricotta, Parmesan, and nutmeg; season with 1½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Process until smooth.
- Cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Toss pasta with spinach sauce; thin with pasta water, as needed. Serve with extra grated Parmesan, if desired.