Top | things I want to make
(recipe, Hank Sawtelle)
- The Paste (enough for one or two chicken breasts):
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp lard
- 3 Tbsp. cayenne
- 3 pinches sugar
- ⅜ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Other Ingredients:
- Self-rising flour, chicken, white bread, and pickles
- All the seasoning is in the paste; dredge the chicken in plain self-rising flour. Fry it.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the paste (microwaving the lard for about 30 seconds will make this easier). Apply it evenly and liberally to the fried chicken using either a basting brush or your latex glove-protected hands. Note: I generally use about a teaspoonful of paste for each side of a chicken breast. This method is the only way I know to get the orange, grease-soaked white bread that is the hallmark of all true hot chicken.
- When you've covered the top half, flip it over onto a piece of white bread and finish the job. Enjoy.