Top | things I want to make
Saffron Panna Cotta with Rhubarb Marmellata
(recipe, Hank Sawtelle)
- For the Rhubarb Marmellata:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 rhubarb stalks, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- For the Saffron Panna Cotta:
- 5 sheets gelatin
- 3⅓ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp. saffron threads
- 1 cup milk
- In a small saucepan, stir together the sliced rhubarb and the sugar. With the tip of the paring knife, scrape the insides of 1 vanilla bean into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the rhubarb is soft, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Place gelatin sheets in cold water to soften and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, place cream, sugar, lemon zest and saffron threads.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring gently, then remove from heat; let rest for 10 minutes to develop flavor and color.
- Remove softened gelatin from cold water and squeeze out excess water. Stir gelatin into cream mixture until completely dissolved. Strain the cream through a fine-meshed sieve or chinois, then stir in milk.
- Pour into chilled dessert cups or wine glasses and chill until set.
- To serve, unmold each panna cotta onto a plate and spoon a bit of the rhubarb over the top and alongside.