Top | spring, spring
rhubarb sauce with cloves and cardamom
(recipe, Sarah Gilbert)
- 2 lb. rhubarb stalks
- 8 to 10 whole cloves
- pinch cardamom pods
- ½ cup honey (or more to taste)
- Rinse rhubarb stalks, scrubbing any dirt spots.
- Slice into ½-inch pieces, cutting large stalks lengthwise to keep pieces relatively uniform and leaving the leafy ends for the compost heap.
- Place rhubarb, spices, and honey in a large saucepan and bring to simmer.
- Simmer about 15 minutes, until rhubarb has mostly broken down into a jammy sauce, adding a little water if needed.
- Adjust sweetness and remove cloves. Cardamom pods can be left in, but the flavor is strong, so if you're averse to a pop of Turkish spice now and again, fish them out too.