Top | Cindy Pawlcyn's Appetizers
Honey Walnut–Stuffed Dates with Spicy Greens and Three Cheeses
(recipe, Cindy Pawlcyn)
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 12 fresh Medjool dates
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Pinch of kosher salt or sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula, watercress, or other greens
- 5 to 6 oz. Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam triple-cream, Brie, or Saint André cheese
- 6 oz. Tomme de Savoie cheese
- 5 oz. fresh Chabis goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toast the walnuts for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool, and then coarsely chop. Combine with the honey in a small bowl. Halve the dates lengthwise, remove the pits, and stuff with the walnut mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, shallot, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, stirring until emulsified. Gently toss 2 tablespoons or so of the vinaigrette with the greens. Divide the greens among 6 plates, placing them in the center.
- Cut each variety of cheese into 6 pieces. Place a piece of each kind of cheese and 4 date halves around the edge of every plate. Drizzle a few drops of the remaining vinaigrette over the goat cheese and serve.