Top | Jens' Favorites
Savory Fig Spread
(recipe, Jen Richmond)
I adapted this recipe from a couple of others I found online. I try to keep processed sugar out of my recipes; agave nectar is a great substitute.
- 8 large fresh figs (I use Mission figs)
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Cut each fig in half, dip cut side into a bowl of the agave nectar.
- Place figs, cut side up, on a cookie sheet that has been oiled with one Tablespoon olive oil.
- Put cookie sheet in the middle of the oven, and broil for 10 minutes, or until tops of figs are caramelizing. Watch the figs carefully! When done, remove figs from baking sheet and cool.
- Place onions in frying pan with olive oil. Cook over low heat until onions caramelize.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Finely mince figs and onions. Place in bowl, add balsamic vinegar and salt, mix together. Taste for vinegar and salt, add a bit more if necessary.
- Serve with pumpkin bread, or any other dense, flavorful bread.