Top | Ronnie Fein
Chremslach (Matzo Fritters)
(recipe, Ronnie Fein)
Serve these sweet fritters as a Passover side dish or dessert.
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup matzo meal
- ½ cup raisins or cranberries (optional)
- ⅓ cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, cashews, or pine nuts (optional)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 lb. honey
- Beat the egg yolks, salt, and vegetable oil together. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and sugar until they are glossy and stand in stiff peaks. Fold into the yolk mixture. Fold in the matzo meal and the nuts and raisins or cranberries, if using. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. With wet hands, shape a walnut-size ball of dough into a round about ½-inch thick. Fry the rounds on both sides for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the fritters in a saucepan. Pour honey over the cooked rounds. Cook over low heat until hot.
- The fritters may be served at this point, but they're better if they stand for several hours before being reheated. Add more honey to taste.