Top | Karoline's Recipes
Karoline's Mad Chili
(recipe, Karoline Schwartz)
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly minced
- ¼ to ½ cup strong-tasting beer or ale
- 1½ lb. ground beef (5⅔) or turkey
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 cans tomato paste
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 large cans red kidney beans
- ~1 tbs dried marjoram
- ~1 tbs dried oregano
- ~1 tbs dried parsley
- ~1 tbs dried basil
- ~1 tbs good chili powder
- ~2 tsp salt, pepper, to taste
- brown sugar to taste
- In a large pot, cook chopped bacon until it starts to get a little crispy. Then add onion, peppers, celery and garlic and mix. Add beer and let simmer.
- In another pan, cook ground meat, breaking up and adding a little water (or beer) to utilize the fat. When both meat and veggies are cooked, drain liquid from meat pan and add to veggies.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh tomato, and kidney beans to the pot and stir. If chili is too watery, add more tomato paste.
- Add spices to your liking. If you don't want to eat it plain, garnish with avocados, cilantro, lime juice, and/or multigrain chips. Enjoy!