Top | Weasel Food
Cabbage with Bacon and Caramelized Onions
(recipe, Jake Benner)
When you get cabbage, you get a lot of it. I needed to deal with it in a way that was palatable to most folks. I checked some cabbage recipes and then came up with this. Nothing compares to the combination of cabbage and smoky bacon. Even better--caramelized onions! This can be done all in one large skillet or saute pan.
- 2 large yellow onions cut into ¼ inch half-rings
- 6 strips of not-to-lean bacon (smoked or not smoked, your preference) cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium head of cabbage (Green or Napa or the like) cut in ¼ inch shreds (you can use a mandoline)
- Red pepper flakes
- Ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- In skillet caramelize onions on low heat (about 20-30 min). Remove onions.
- Add bacon pieces to skillet, fry on medium heat until browned, rendering the fat.
- Add shredded cabbage, re-add onions, ½ to 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (depending on taste), ¼ to ½ tsp. ground nutmeg (depending on taste). Fold to combine while mixture cooks, and scrape up and mix in the brown bits in the bottom of the pan.
- After about five minutes, cabbage should wilt down to a manageable volume. Cook another five minutes while continuing to turn the mixture, being sure everything gets well combined.
- Taste for salt (if your bacon is not salty it may need a little more).
- Serve and consume.