Top | easy chef
Endive & Pear Salad
(recipe, Donia Clark)
This recipe comes from the January 1999 issue of Gourmet. As usual, I made a couple small changes. It makes a nice quick and light dinner when I come home from working late and don't feel like cooking and don't want to have something heavy when I have to go to bed soon after eating. This recipe is a nice mix of sweet and bitter. Listen to Elliot Smith's self-titled album while making.
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (does any other kind of olive oil matter?)
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 firm ripe pear
- 2 Belgian endives
- 1 small head of curly endive
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Halve pear.
- Cut out core of pear halves.
- Thinly slice lengthwise.
- Slice Belgian endives crosswise.
- Chop curly endive into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss greens with pear.
- Add vinaigrette to individual servings.