Top | Dinner at Your Door
(recipe, Alex Davis, Diana Ellis, Andy Remeis)
For a main-dish salad, add 12 ounces cooked and crumbled bacon, 3 thinly sliced green onions, 2 diced avocadoes, and 28 ounces quartered and drained artichoke hearts.
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 to 4 oz. anchovies, packed in olive oil (not drained)
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 cups croutons (see Note)
- 6 oz. Parmesan, shaved (use a vegetable peeler to get long strips of cheese)
- Make the dressing: Combine everything but the oil, salt, and pepper in a blender and whirl until smooth. With the blender running, drizzle the oil into the dressing until the desired consistency is attained. Add salt and pepper to taste. Divide the dressing equally among serving containers and refrigerate if dressing is to sit longer than 1 hour.
- Make the salad: Divide the lettuce and croutons into separate serving containers and refrigerate the romaine.
- Add the garnish: Divide the shaved cheese among the separate serving containers and refrigerate.
To make homemade croutons, mix together 4 cups cubed day-old bread and 3 Tbsp. olive oil, along with a little salt. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool and store in an airtight container.