Top | Bread
(recipe, Maggie Restivo)
This is kind of a cross between a jelly roll and a bread. My mom always used to make it around the holidays. It is great for breakfast and also makes for a tasty late night snack with a cup of hot tea!
- For Dough:
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 6 cups of all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups of milk - reserve ½ cup
- 3 egg yolks - save the whites for the filling
- For Filling:
- 2 lb. finely chopped pecans
- 3 egg whites
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup of milk
- Raise yest in ½ cup of warm milk (use saved ½ cup)with ¼ tsp of sugar for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl cream the butter and remaining sugar.
- Beat in the 3 egg yolks, 1 at a time.
- When yeast is raised add to creamed mixture.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment, add flour alternating with milk, combining well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Cover and let rise for 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Gently deflate dough and separate into balls approximately the size of baseballs.
- Roll out balls onto a floured board.
- Add nut filling and spread out.
- Roll dough like a jelly roll and place onto a greased pan. Let rise about 30 min. or until dough is half as big as it was.
- Bake at 375* for 25 min, until nicely brown.
- After removing from the oven brush the tops with melted butter to keep the dough soft.
- For Filling:
- Beat the egg whites until frothy
- Add 1½ cups of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the finely chopped pecans.
- Add enough milk to make the mixture easy to spread onto the dough.