Top | Ronnie Fein
(recipe, Ronnie Fein)
- 2 cups flour
- 2½ Tblsp. sugar
- 2¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. grated fresh lemon peel
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup dried currants (or raisins)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon peel in a bowl. Add the butter in chunks and work it into the dry ingredients with your fingers or a pastry tool, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the currants and toss the ingredients gently to distribute the currants in the dry ingredients. Mix the egg and buttermilk together and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix until a soft dough forms. Roll or press the dough on a lightly floured surface to a ½-inch thickness.
- Cut out circles with a cookie cutter. Alternatively, cut the dough in half, roll or press each half into a circle of ½-inch thickness; cut each circle into 6 wedges. Place on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until well browned.