Top | Sandwiches
(recipe, Shari Sirkin)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. white-wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- ¼ tsp. red-pepper flakes
- 12 slices crusty sourdough bread
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 6 oz. fontina or provolone, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. prosciutto or mortadella, thinly sliced
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 5 pepperoncini salad peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- Combine the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, mustard, and pepper flakes. Mix well and set aside.
- On six of the bread slices, layer the tomatoes, cheese, meat, basil, and pepperoncini.
- Drizzle the oil mixture over the sandwich filling. Top with the remaining bread slices.
- Wrap sandwiches tightly. Chill up to 2 hours before serving.