Top | Breakfasts
Upma Kozhukattai (Steamed rice dumplings)
(recipe, Gayathri Subramanian)
This is a traditional South Indian breakfast dish.
- 2 cups Rice rava (coarsely ground rice)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. Urad dal (Split Black lentils)
- 1 tsp. Channa dal (Split Chikpeas)
- Asafetida – a pinch
- 5 Curry leaves
- 3 Red chilies
- 6 cups Water
- 2 Tbsp. Grated Coconut
- 2 Tbsp. Jaggery
- Salt – to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed non-stick pan.
- Add mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter.
- Add the dals, asafetida, curry leaves and broken red chilies and fry till the dals are golden brown.
- Pour 6 cups of water and add salt.
- Add the jaggery and coconut and bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and add the rawa slowly. Keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Stir the mixture for about 5 minutes until it all comes together and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, make balls out of it and steam it for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.