Top | Sandwiches
Chicken Salad with Fennel, Almonds, and Lemon Mayo
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
If you can't find fennel, feel free to substitute celery and a couple of tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 small lemon (optional)
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 cups cooked chicken (grilled, roasted, or poached), cut or torn into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup fennel bulb and fronds (not stalks), diced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- ¾ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- Mixed salad greens or baby arugula, washed and dried
- Put the mayonnaise in a medium bowl, then whisk in the lemon zest and juice to taste (I like it lemony, so I err on the side of more rather than less lemon juice). Stir in the chicken, fennel, shallot, and almonds, then season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- If the bread is extremely fresh, top with chicken salad and mixed greens; otherwise, toast the bread first.