Top | Dinner Guest blog recipes
Weeknight Chicken Curry
(recipe, Susmita Sharma)
- 1½ lb. boneless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece (1 inch long) ginger, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped fine
- 2 black cardamom pods (kala elaichi)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. red chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. coconut powder, or ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- Skin the chicken thighs, remove excess fat, and cut into bite size pieces.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed saute pan. Add the whole spices — cinnamon, bay leaves, cardamom, and cloves — and sauté till spices are fragrant.
- Add the onions, garlic, and ginger. Saute 5-10 minutes till onions are golden brown and soft. Add the chicken. Saute a few minutes till chicken turns color. Add the turmeric, salt, and tomatoes. Cook a few minutes till tomatoes turn pulpy.
- Add the bell pepppers, cumin powder, coriander powder, and chili powder. Sauté a few minutes. Add coconut powder (or milk) and water. Bring the curry to a boil, cover, and simmer on medium-low for 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice or your choice of Indian flatbread.