Top | My recipes
(recipe, Hilary Cable)
- 4 baking apples
- 1 Tbsp. almond meal or chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds)
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of kosher salt flakes
- 1 Tbsp. dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp. dried tart cherries
- 1 Tbsp. golden raisins
- 1 Tbsp. butter, cut into four portions
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Wash and dry the apples.
- Using a small knife or apple corer, remove top ⅔ of core and seeds from the apples.
- In a small bowl, combine almond meal or chopped nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Coarsely chop the dried fruit. Add it to the sugar/nut mixture.
- Stuff the apples with the dried fruit/sugar/nut mixture.
- Place the stuffed apples in a 9x9 Pyrex baking dish.
- If there is any of the fruit/sugar/nut mixture left over, sprinkle it over the apples.
- Top the apples with one piece of butter each.
- Pour the water into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for about one hour, or until the apples are softened.
- To serve, reheat until the apples are warm, and plate with vanilla ice cream and a spoon of the sauce.