Top | Sauces
(recipe, Deanna Dudney)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- Vigorously whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl and until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler), the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble.
- Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne and salt. Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use.
- If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.