Top | Desserts
Shirley's Butterscotch Pie
(recipe, Deanna Dudney)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 recipe Meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Boil brown sugar, butter and water together until it waxes.
- Mix together egg yolks and milk. Take 2 heaping tablespoons of flour mixed with enough water to be very smooth and mix this into egg yolk & milk mixture.
- Add this yolk/milk/flour mixture to sugar/butter/water waxing mixture.
- Cook until it is thick, stirring constantly.
- If it does not thicken properly, add small amount of cornstarch mixed with water and continue stirring until it is teh desired thickness.
- Let cool in refrigerator and then add vanilla. Pour into previously baked pie crust.
- Meringue: Whip egg whites and add powdered sugar while whipping. Spoon this onto pie and broil a few minutes at 250 to brown (watch, happens quickly).