Top | Chicken
Chicken Stuffed with Mushrooms & Spinach
(recipe, Deanna Dudney)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped white onion
- ½ tsp. crushed dried oregano
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, divided
- 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup finely chopped mushroom
- 4 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 5 Tbsp. Madeira wine, divided
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 Tbsp. flour, as needed
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp. brandy
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grainy mustard
- ½ tsp. minced shallot
- Sauté onion, oregano and half of the garlic in 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add spinach and mushroom and cook until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, 3 tablespoons of the Madeira wine, and goat cheese. Mix in bread crumbs. Set stuffing aside for several hours to cool and allow flavors to blend.
- Pound chicken breasts to flatten; divide stuffing and place in center of each breast. Wrap chicken around stuffing to form roll. Secure with wooden picks or string.
- Lightly dust stuffed breasts with flour. Sauté breasts in remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet until lightly browned; remove chicken to baking dish and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add cream, stock, brandy, lemon juice, mustard, remaining garlic, shallots, and salt and pepper to taste to the pan juices; cook until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons Madeira wine, cooking only until alcohol evaporates. Serve sauce along with chicken.