Top | Beef
Hearty Beef Stew
(recipe, Deanna Dudney)
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) recipe-ready diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 small carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- COMBINE flour, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Add beef; toss well to coat. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and juice, water, carrots, bouillon and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover.
- COOK, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Add potato; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- CROCKERY COOKER METHOD:
- COOK beef, onion, celery and garlic as above. Spoon beef mixture into crockery cooker; cover with potato, tomatoes and juice, water, carrots, bouillon and thyme. Cover; cook on high heat for 5 to 6 hours or on low heat for 10 to 12 hours or until beef is tender.