Top | Bakery
Classic Cream Scones
(recipe, Deanna Dudney)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, chilled
- ½ cup heavy cream (whipping)
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup currant or raisins (optional)
- 1 egg, mixed with 1 teaspoon water for glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 and lightly butter a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the batter into ½'' cubes and distribute them over the flour mixture.
- With a pastry blender or two knives used scissor fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream, egg and vanilla. Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Stir in the currants or raisins.
- With lightly floured hands, pat the dough into a ½'' thickness on a floured cutting board. Using a floured 2-½'' biscuit cutter or glass, cut rounds from the dough and place on the prepared sheet.
- Gather the dough scraps and repeat until all the dough is used.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack, serve with butter and jam. Enjoy!