Top | Simmerin'
Red Lentil Soup With Indian Spices
(recipe, rich boyett)
By Allison Boomer | January 28, 2009
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp. chili powder, or more to taste
- 2 qt. chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb. (2 cups) red lentils, rinsed with cool water and sorted to remove any small stones
- 2 large carrots, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1. In soup pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. When it is hot, add the onions and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- 2. Stir in the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- 3. Add the stock, water, lentils, carrots, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, partially cover the pan, and turn the heat to medium-low. Simmer the soup for 30 to 40 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- 4. Add the lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and chili powder, if you like.
- Enter the list of ingredients, each on a new line. For example: