Top | Freyathorn's Recipes
(recipe, Betsy Davis)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ¾ stick cold unsalted butter (6 tablespoons) cut into ½" pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Blend together flour and butter in a bowl with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps. Stir in milk with a fork just until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead 7 or 8 times. (Do not overwork, or biscuits will be tough.) Pat dough into a 9- by 6-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface, then cut into 6 (3-inch) squares. Arrange squares 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool to warm on baking sheet on a rack.