Top | Newsletter featured recipes
Wilted Escarole Salad
(recipe, Hillsdale Farmers' Market)
Salads don't need to be cold and the green doesn't need to be lettuce. This recipe works just as well with any winter green mix.
- 1 lb. escarole (about one head)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped shallot
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and broken into bits (optional)
- Wash the escarole, dry and tear into bite size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, add the shallot, and cook until the onion is softened. Add the escarole and saute for a minute or two. Add vinegar, cover pan and remove from heat.
- Remove lid after a few minutes. The escarole should be wilted but still bright in color. Place escarole into a serving bowl. Add the bacon (optional),salt and pepper to taste and toss. Serve warm.