Top | Fun Recipes
Short Ribs with Cornmeal Dumplings
(recipe, Woodstock Farmers' Market)
A Wonderful Comfort food for those cold winter nights. Substitute your home preserved vegetables for the canned to make an especially rewarding dish!
- 3 lb. beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, cut in thin wedges
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 28 oz. canned tomatoes, cut up
- 1 12.0 oz. can beer
- 1 fresh or dried chili pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Cornmeal dumplings:
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 7.0 oz. can of corn, drained or ¾ cup fresh or frozen corn.
- Trim excess fat from short ribs.
- In dutch oven, brown short ribs on all sides.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Remove short ribs from pot.
- Drain off all but 2 TBSP drippings.
- Add onion and garlic to pot with drippings, and cook until onion is tender. Add tomatoes, beer, chili pepper, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 1½-2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Cool and skim off excess fat. This step is important, as a lot of fat will come out of the ribs while simmering, and the dish will be greasy if you do not skim it off.
- Return to heat, and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile prepare cornmeal dumplings:
- In saucepan, combine water, corn meal and salt.
- Bring to a boil, and cook and stir until thick.
- Add a small amount to the beaten egg to temper, then return to the hot mixture.
- Stir together the flour and baking powder. A
- dd to the corn meal mixture.
- Stir well to combine.
- Stir in the corn.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon-fulls into boiling stew mixture.
- Cover and simmer until dumplings are done - about 12-15 minutes.