Top | To Your Good Health!
Summer Cucumber Soup
(recipe, Greensboro Farmers' Curb Market)
This soup is perfect for a refreshing, delicious summer meal. Make sure and allow the mixture to sit overnight or for a few hours in the refrigerator in order for the flavors to fully develop. Borage blossoms from the organic herb garden would be wonderful scattered over the top, not only for their beautiful blue color but they complement the soup with their cucumber taste.
- 2 English cucumbers ends removed, cut lengthwise in half & seeds scraped out with a spoon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups canned or your own vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups reduced fat sour cream
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- Dash of Tabasco (optional)
- 8 to 10 chopped cherry tomatoes
- ½ 2.0 cup chopped scallions
- ¾ cup lightly toasted almond slices
- Peel and roughly dice cucumbers. Place them in a food processor or blender with garlic and ½ cup of broth and puree.
- Add rest of broth and thoroughly blend. In a large bowl mix sour cream and yogurt.
- Stir in cucumber mixture until all is incorporated.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for 6-8 hours (I like it best chilled overnight for the flavors to develop).
- Ladle finished soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with tomatoes, scallions & almonds.