Top | Lee Newlin
Healthy Summer Squash Medley
(recipe, Greensboro Farmers' Curb Market)
This quick and easy recipe is a great way to pull together a spectacularly nutritious meal. Note that summer squash varies in tenderness. Try to choose the younger, more tender selections. And remember…good health means you have to chop!
- ½ large yellow onion, peeled and chopped, or 2 scallions chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into cubes
- 1 to 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 very large ripe tomato, cubed or 1 15 oz. can of cubed tomatoes (don't drain)
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 lb. summer squash or zucchini (yellow or green) cubed
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce (I use Braggs Amino Acid which is very nutritious)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh Basil chiffanade (sliced into thin strips)
- In a large skillet sauté the onion, peppers and garlic in oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, stirring while the juices evaporate for approximately 5 minutes.
- In the same skillet add the cubed squash to the rest of the vegetables and stir for 5 more minutes.
- Add the soy sauce (or Braggs) and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Divide amongst 4 plates and scatter basil over the top. Grated Parmesan is wonderful over the finished dish if you like it.
- Optional Extras: (1) Young okra spears sliced and sautéd with the onion mixture. (2) Thinly sliced tender Kale or Swiss Chard (add when you prepare the squash). (3) Balsamic Vinegar instead of soy sauce.