Top | Zanne Miller
Clams in White Wine
(recipe, Zanne Miller)
Serve this dish with soft butter and crusty bread on the side.
- 5 doz. Manila or littleneck clams (10 clams per person)
- 1 bottle dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced shallots
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash the clams. Toss any that are fully opened or, if gaping, don't close when you press on them.
- Put the wine, tomatoes with juice, butter, garlic, and shallots into a large stockpot. Heat over medium high, covered, until simmering. Cook for five to 10 minutes, or until all the clams have opened. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Ladle into a large serving bowl and pass at the table, or ladle individual servings into soup bowls.
Read more about Italian Christmas Eve traditions in "The seven-fishes feast."