Top | Pies and Tarts, Crisps and Crumbles
Mom's Pumpkin Pie
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
Mom's pumpkin pie, it turns out, came from a Libby's pumpkin label. I used to balk at how easy it was — open a couple of cans, stir in some eggs and spices. Now I marvel at its genius. It's worth making more often than just the holidays.
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin or 1¾ cups Pumpkin Purée
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked, chilled pie shell
- Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Whisk in sugar, spices, salt, and pumpkin; stir until smooth. Gradually add the evaporated milk, stirring all the while, until smooth.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Pour pumpkin filling into pie shell. Bake pie for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours, then serve or refrigerate.
Read more about Thanksgiving menu planning in "Classic Thanksgiving."