Top | Keri Fisher
(recipe, Keri Fisher)
Add the stock until the desired thickness is reached; since different pumpkins have different moisture levels, the amount of stock will vary.
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried (from the pumpkins used to make Pumpkin Purée), or store-bought raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- Oil for greasing baking sheet
- 2 cups Pumpkin Purée, or 1 can (15 ounces) canned pumpkin
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 to 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ⅛ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- If using fresh pumpkins, make the pumpkin seeds: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet. Combine seeds, salt, and spices in a small bowl and toss to combine. Spread seeds in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Cook until seeds are dry and just beginning to brown at edges, about 15 minutes.
- Make the soup: Combine all the soup ingredients in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt. Serve immediately, garnished with the toasted pumpkin seeds and the cilantro, if using.
Read more about cooking with pumpkins in Keri Fisher's "The great pumpkin."