Top | Candy and Snacks
(recipe, Caroline Cummins)
This Christmas-party staple comes from my good friend Mary Anderson's grandmother, Olphina Fulmer Laidlaw, who died in 1962. It's very similar to a 1997 Bon Appétit recipe.
- 1 cup crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. good-quality cocoa powder
- ¼ cup dark rum
- 1½ Tbsp. light corn syrup
- ¼ cup powdered sugar for dusting
- In a large bowl or food processor, combine the wafer crumbs, pecans, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder. Blend in the rum and the corn syrup. Mix well.
- Let the mixture sit for 20 to 30 minutes before shaping into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in a bit of powdered sugar, then chill for at least an hour before serving.