Top | Sandwiches
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
During tomato season, I eat daily variations on the basil-and-tomato theme — bruschetta, caprese salad, pasta, pizza margherita. Pair juicy tomatoes with a crusty baguette for a delicious riff on insalata caprese.
- ⅓ loaf crusty baguette
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup sliced ripe tomatoes, with juice
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice baguette in half and set aside. Cut cheese into ½-inch slices and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sliced tomatoes with chopped basil, minced garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the sandwich, alternate layers of tomatoes and cheese along one side of the baguette. Drizzle both sides of the bread with the tomato juices that have accumulated in the bowl. Place top half of the baguette on the bottom. Serve immediately.