Top | Garlic and Sapphires
(recipe, Ruth Reichl)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ lb. (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup diced Gruyère cheese
- Pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated Gruyère cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the water, butter, and a teaspoon of the salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until the butter melts.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let it cool slightly, stir in the flour, and mix well.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir with a wooden spoon over high heat until the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Add the diced cheese, the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and the pepper, stirring well.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto a well-buttered baking pan. Smooth the top and sides of each gougère with a knife, and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake in batches for 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.