Top | Sarah Gilbert
Garlic Lover's Creme Pesto
(recipe, Sarah Gilbert)
Diana Shaw's recipe, from her book Sweet Basil, Garlic, Tomatoes, and Chives, has greater quantities of Parmesan, crème fraîche, and basil. I like my pestos very garlicky; double the other ingredients or reduce the garlic if you like it a little less in-your-face. If you have neither mortar and pestle nor Cuisinart, you can finely chop the garlic and basil together until almost paste-like, and then mix in the cheese and crème fraîche.
- 1 to 2 large cloves fresh garlic, peeled and trimmed
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 handful (several sprigs) fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup crème fraîche
- ¼ cup Hannah Bridge Heritage, or other hard salty cheese such as Parmesan, grated
- In the bowl of a mortar and pestle or food processor, mash the garlic with the salt. Add the basil, crème fraîche, and grated cheese. Mash until creamy; taste and adjust the quantities as desired; lick the pestle.
- Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.