Top | Ivy Manning
Sweet-Savory Hazelnut Waffles
(recipe, Ivy Manning)
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1¼ cups 2-percent milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ⅓ cup toasted, ground hazelnuts (I like Freddy Guys Hazelnut Flour)
- 1½ cups warm maple syrup
- 1 to 2 tsp. Peppered Bacon Salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Preheat a Belgian waffle maker.
- Whisk the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the milk, egg yolks, and vanilla extract in another bowl. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Stir in the butter and hazelnuts.
- In a clean bowl, whip the egg whites until medium peaks form when the beaters are lifted. Gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter in three additions; a few lumps may remain. Ladle 1 cup of batter into the waffle maker and cook until waffle is golden. Transfer to a cookie sheet and keep warm in oven while cooking remaining waffles.
- Serve waffles with warm maple syrup, sprinkle sparingly with Bacon Salt, and serve.