Top | Zanne Miller
Better Than Jell-O Cake
(recipe, Zanne Miller)
This is Catherine Reinhart's updating of my friend Michelle Holdway's childhood favorite.
- Batter for a yellow cake, such as a double recipe of Honor Roll Cake
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup low-acid fruit juice, such as blueberry açai or pomegranate
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13-by-9-inch pan.
- Prepare the cake batter and bake it according to the cake recipe's directions.
- While the cake is baking, liquefy the gelatin according to packet labeling with the fruit juice.
- Remove the cake from the oven and set on a rack to cool. Poke several holes in the cake with the small end of a wooden spoon and pour the gelatin mixture into the holes.
- Chill the cake in the fridge. Serve cold with homemade whipped cream.
Read more about summertime cake-baking in Zanne Miller's "The cakes of summer."