Top | Ellen Jackson
(recipe, Ellen Jackson)
Read more about unusual foods for the grill in Ellen Jackson's "The universal grill."
- 2 pt. fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. sugar
- ¼ cup wine or liqueur, or water mixed with lemon juice
- Butter for greasing
- Toss the berries in a bowl with the sugar and liquid.
- Generously coat the bottom and sides of a nonreactive, ovenproof baking pan just large enough to hold the berries in a single layer with their sides almost touching. Fit the berries snugly, pointing up, and pour the juices from the bowl over them.
- Grill over high heat (or in a hot oven) until they’re bubbly and begin to collapse. Cooking times will vary greatly depending on the variety, size, and ripeness of the strawberries, anywhere from 3 to 8 minutes.
- Spoon the pan juices over the berries to moisten them, then ladle the roasted berries over cake or ice cream, or serve them in a bowl with simple shortbread cookies and lightly sweetened cream.