Top | Zanne Miller
Grammom’s Pound Cake
(recipe, Zanne Miller)
The pound of powdered sugar called for here is unusual but makes for a thick, crackly crust.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 box (16 ounces, or 3¾ cups) confectioners' sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beating well. Add the extracts at the end, beating well.
- Bake in a greased and floured tube pan for 1½ hours. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely.
Read more about summertime cake-baking in Zanne Miller's "The cakes of summer."