Top | Matthew Amster-Burton
Merguez (North African Lamb Sausage)
(recipe, Matthew Amster-Burton)
This recipe was adapted from Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. Read more about homemade sausage in Matthew Amster-Burton's column "Patty cake."
- 1 lb. boneless lamb shoulder, not trimmed of fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup diced roasted red peppers (jarred are fine)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. minced fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp. dry red wine
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Combine all ingredients except the wine and water and stir well.
- Grind the mixture through the small plate of a meat grinder into a cold bowl. Add the wine and water and stir well to distribute, until the sausage looks sticky rather than loose.
- Sauté a small patty and taste for seasonings, and add additional salt, pepper, sage, or paprika as necessary. If freezing, do so immediately; otherwise keep in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.