Top | The Jew and the Carrot
(recipe, Leah Koenig)
This recipe makes about a cup of gooey, fragrant date honey to dip your Rosh Hashanah apples into. You can also spread it on toast, pancakes, waffles, and more. Just make sure you buy the fat, sticky Medjool dates (Delget won’t work).
- 8 Medjool dates
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ cup water, plus more as needed
- ¼ cup agave nectar, plus more as needed
- 4 pieces crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Remove the pits from the dates and quarter them. Mash them with a fork into a paste-like consistency.
- Place the date mash into a small saucepan. Add the lemon juice and ¼ cup of the water and heat over low heat, stirring frequently with a whisk or wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. After the water is absorbed, add the remaining water and the agave nectar and crystallized ginger. The mash should take on a slightly more liquid-like quality, like apple butter. Continue stirring, adding small amounts of additional water and agave nectar as necessary until you reach the taste and consistency you like.
- Let cool before serving with fresh apple slices.