Top | The Jew and the Carrot
(recipe, Leah Koenig)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 to 6 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Matzo (enough sheets to make 4 layers in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown onion and mushrooms in a little olive oil in a sauté pan and set aside. Mix ricotta, cottage cheese, and parsley together, and set aside.
- Spoon 1 cup of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with one layer of moistened matzo. (Lightly soften the sheets of matzo with water. Do not soak them or they’ll get too soggy. Moisten under the tap as you go, or dip them in a shallow baking dish filled with water.) Layer ⅓ of the cheese mixture, ⅓ of the vegetable mixture, and ⅔ cup of the sauce and ½ cup of mozzarella in dish. Repeat twice. Cover with a final layer of moistened matzo, 1 cup sauce, and mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.