Top | The Glorious Foods of Greece
Beet Greens with Yogurt
(recipe, Diane Kochilas)
- 1 lb. beet greens, trimmed and washed
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, chopped, approximately 1 cup
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt the water generously and boil the greens until tender. Drain and shock the greens in ice water, then drain again.
- Pound the garlic to a paste in a mortar. Add the lemon juice and let sit 5 minutes. Stir in the yogurt.
- Heat half the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the greens and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and transfer to a serving platter; set skillet aside. Spoon the yogurt like a sauce over the hot greens.
- Heat the remaining butter in the same skillet and cook the onions over high heat, stirring, until brown and crisp at the edges. Season with salt and spoon the onions over the yogurt.