Top | Mostly Mediterranean
Marmalade of Spring Greens
(recipe, Paula Wolfert)
- 2 lb. spinach, escarole, Swiss chard, or any mixture of greens
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained and crushed with a fork
- 1½ tsp. capers (preferably salted), rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped pitted purple olives (7 or 8 Kalamatas)
- 1½ Tbsp. black or yellow raisins, soaked in warm water, drained and chopped
- ⅛ tsp. chile flakes, or more to taste
- Wash the greens, remove their stems or stalks, and drain. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the greens 3 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly tender. Drain, refresh in cold water, drain, and squeeze out excess water.
- In a skillet, fry the garlic in olive oil over medium heat until lightly browned. Remove garlic and discard. Add the anchovies and capers and fry, stirring until the anchovy dissolves, about 1 minute. Add the greens and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, or until the greens absorb the flavored oil.
- Remove the mixture to a large cutting board, allow it to cool, then chop finely or pulse in a food processor with the olives, raisins, and pepper flakes. Serve warm or at room temperature.