Top | Co-op Farmers Market Recipes
Rhubarb Cherry Chutney
(recipe, Co-op Farmers Market)
From Moosewood Restaurant New Classics. Try it with Indian curries or grilled fish!
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1½ cups diced red onions
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger root
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1½ cups cherry or apple juice
- 4 cups sliced rhubarb (1-inch pieces), this will be about 1½ lbs.
- Warm the oil in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, ginger, salt and cover, cook 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cherries and juice and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rhubarb and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes, until the rhubarb is tender and the chutney is somewhat thickened.
- Serve at room temperature. Stored in the refrigerator, this will keep for 2 weeks.