Top | Newsletter featured recipes
Tortellini with Fresh Peas and Ham in a Creamy Tarragon Sauce
(recipe, Hillsdale Farmers' Market)
This is a great dish to celebrate the first English peas that come to the market in spring. The recipe comes from The Farm to Table Cookbook by Ivy Manning.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped shallot
- ⅓ cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 4 oz. Black Forest ham, rind removed, julienned
- 2 Tbsp. fresh tarragon leaves, stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 cups cream
- 1 lb. fresh cheese tortellini
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shelled English peas
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; add the shallot and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the vermouth and simmer until almost all the liquid is gone. Add the ham, tarragon, and cream; bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer (Do not cook in rapidly boiling water or the pasta may burst open). Cook until tender, 3 to 7 minutes depending on their size and the thickness of the pasta.
- Drain the tortellini and transfer to the cream sauce; stir in the peas and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute. Season with the salt and pepper, sprinkle with the cheese, and serve.